4 cups (1 lb) 450 g flour and 1 tsp salt (warmed and sifted) 1/2 pint warm milk 3/4 oz yeast creamed with 1 tsp sugar 1 stick (8 tbsp) 4 oz (112 g) butter 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) 100 g castor sugar 3 small eggs 3/4 cup (110 g) sultanas (golden raisins) 1 1/2 oz. candied lemon peel 3 - 4 tbsp (1 - 2 oz) crushed lump sugar (for finish) sweetened milk or egg for glazing
1. Pre heat the oven to 200°C
2. Add the creamed yeast to the tepid milk.
3. Pour into well in a warmed sieved mixture of flour and salt. Knead lightly and leave to rise 30 minutes.
4. Cream the butter, work in the sugar, and beat in the eggs. Work these into the dough with sultanas and 1oz of the peel.
5. Leave to rise for another 40 minutes.
6. Shape into buns about fist size.
7. Place the buns on a lightly greased baking-sheet. Brush with egg or sweetened milk and sprinkle with the crushed lump sugar and remaining peel.
8. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.