1 packet active dry yeast 3/4 cup. Warm water 1/3 cup. Cocoa 1/4 cup. Sugar 1/4 cup. Shortening 1/2 tsp. salt 1 egg 2 1/4 cup. All-purpose flour 12 maraschino cherries, cut in small. Pieces Icing sugar frosting
1. Pre heatthe oven to 200°C
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water and place in a large bowl.
3. Add the cocoa, sugar, shortening, salt, egg and 1 cup of flour.
4. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly to ensure an even mix.
5. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (or beat 300 strokes by hand).
6. Stir in the remaining flour and the cherries. Scrape batter from side of bowl.
7. Cover and let rise in warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
8. Stir down batter by beating 20 to 30 times.
9. Fill 18 greased medium size muffin cups.
10. Fill each muffin cup 1/2 full. Cover and let rise about 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
11. Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes.
12. Drizzle with powdered sugar. Frost while warm.
Icing sugar frosting:
13. Mix 1 cup icing sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract until smooth.
14. Coat top of bun with frosting
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.