1 pkg. dry yeast 1 c. milk, scalded (about 110 degrees) 1/2 c. sugar 1 tsp. salt 2 eggs 1/2 c. melted shortening 4 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. butter, softened 1 c. firmly packed brown sugar 2 tbsp. cinnamon 1/4 c. finely chopped pecans (opt.)
1 c. butter 1 1/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar 4 tsp. light corn syrup
1. Place the yeast in mixing bowl or food processor.
2. Add milk and sugar.
3. Mix the yeast, milk and sugar until thoroughly combined.
4. Add salt, eggs, shortening (fat) and half of the flour.
5.Mix well until a smooth dough forms.
6. Add the remaining flour and mix. It may be necessary to knead in the remaining flour by hand rather than using a mixer.
7. Place dough in a buttered bowl, form a ball and turn it around to coat the surface. Cover and let it rise in a warm place until double, about 1 to 2 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare Topping.
8. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
9. Add brown sugar and corn syrup; mix well.
10. Bring to a rolling boil and take off heat immediately. Do NOT overcook. Pour the topping into 2 (9"x13") pans.
11. Punch dough down to remove the air from it. Divide in half.
12. Roll each piece out into a 9"x18" rectangle.
13. Spread with half of the butter for the filling: sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and add nuts if desired.
14. Roll up tightly from the long end to form a roll / tube.
15. Repeat with other half of dough and the filling.
16. Cut each roll into 1" slices. Place rolls in prepared pans. Cover them and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
17. Bake at 200°C for 20 to 30 minutes; or until golden.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.