12 oz. (300g) self raising flour 3 oz. (75g) butter pinch of salt 1 oz. (25g) caster sugar 5 oz. (125ml) milk 1 level teaspoon of baking powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 470°F, Gas mark 9, 240°C
2. Sieve together the flour, salt and baking powder
3. Rub in the butter
4. Add the milk and knead the mixture into a soft dough
5. On a floured board, roll out the dough to a thickness of about half an inch (12 mm)
6. Using a 2 inch (5 cm) cutter cut the dough into scones.
7. Brush the top of each scone with a little milk to produce a glazed finish.
7. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and cook in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.