1 Kg white flour (not Gluten free) 2 cups of milk 25 g dry yeast 3/4 cup of sugar 1 egg 150 g of butter 1 level teaspoon of salt 1/2 cup of raisins (or sultanas)
1. Pre heat the oven to 200 °C
2. Mix the flour and the yeast together.
3. Add the sugar, eggs, butter and milk gradually to the flour and yeast.
4. Mix very well for about 5 / 10 minutes until a smooth paste is formed.
5. Add the salt and mix well again.
6. Add the dried fruit and mix just enough to spread the fruit throughout the mix. Do not over mix.
7. Cover the bowl with a tea-towel and leave it to stand for about 15 minutes.
8. Remove from the bowl, pull or cut into bun size pieces and roll into balls.
9. Leave to stand for approx 45 minutes so the buns can rise again.
10. Place on a baking tray, leaving room around each bun, and bake for about half an hour or until done.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.