2lb flour ˝tsp salt 4 oz. butter 1 egg a piece of baking yeast the size of a walnut (or dried yeast equivalent) warm milk
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 °C
2. Mix the flour with the salt, and rub in the butter.
3. Beat the egg well.
4. Add the yeast and the egg to the flour with enough warm milk to make the mixture into a smooth paste.
5. Knead the mixture well.
6. Leave in a warm area to rise. This shouldn't take longer than 30 mins) . Covering the mixture bowl with a teatowel will keep it warm and free from draughts.
7. Form the mixture into buns and place them on a greased baking tin, with a little space between them so they can expand .
8. Leave to rise again for a few minutes then place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.