12 oz. flour 3 oz. butter 4 oz. currants 1 oz. chopped peel 3 oz. sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder Pinch of space Nutmeg Drop of milk
1. Pre heat the oven to 160°C
2. Rub the butter into the flour . Warm the butter if it is cooler than room temperature before you rub it into the flour.
3. Add all the dry ingredients to the mixture and stir together.
4. Beat the egg and add it to the mix
5. Add a little milk if necessary to bind the mix, but keep it as dry as possible.
6. Stir with a spoon and keep the mixture rough and lumpy.
7. Put in small heaps on a floured tray and cook for about 15 minutes.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.