3/4 cup water 1 egg, lightly beaten 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 3 cups all-purpose flour 6 tablespoons sugar 1/4 cup softened butter x1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons dry milk 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup butter, melted 1/3 cup brown sugar, mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or raisins, optional
1. Add the bun ingredients to the bread machine container. The manufacturer's instructions may give a preferred order for adding the ingredients so check the instructions/ free recipe book for a bun dough recipe.
2. Set the machine to run on the dough cycle.
3. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board.
4. Using a rolling pin, shape the dough into a rectangle about 10 X 18 inches.
5. Gently heat the butter- a few seconds in a microwave oven works well - until it melts.
6. Brush the melted butter over the dough rectangle, then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar and pecans/raisins mixture over the butter.
7. Start at the longest edge and roll up the dough (like a Swiss roll), then pinch the edge together to prevent it from unrolling.
8. Cut into 1-inch slices.
9. Lay the slices flat on a buttered baking sheet.
10. Cover with a slightly dampened towel and leave to rise in a warm, draft free place for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
11. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes, or until browned. Drizzle with cinnamon bun glaze or thin icing of your choice.
13. Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the hot water and vanilla. Remove from heat then stir in the confectioners' sugar. If needed, add more hot water, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.