25 g (1 oz) fresh yeast or 15 g (1/2 oz) dried yeast (1 oz cake compressed yeast or 1 tbls dry yeast granules) 30 ml (2 tbls) honey 275 ml (1/2 pt) 1 1/2 cups warm milk 4 cups (450 g) 1 lb wholemeal (whole grain) flour 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) sea salt 2 tsp (10 ml) Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice) 3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) 75 g butter 2 eggs, beaten 225 g (1/2 lb) currants For the glaze: 1 egg beaten with 90 ml (6 tbls) milk
1. If you are using fresh (compressed) yeast, crumble it into a bowl and cream it with the honey and milk; use within 5 minutes.
2. If using dried yeast mix the honey and milk together and sprinkle the dried yeast on top. Leave the yeast in a warm place to froth for about 10 minutes.
3. Put the flour into a mixing bowl and add the salt and spice.
4. Make a well in the centre. Melt the butter in a saucepan on a low heat. Cool it a little.
5. Pour the yeast mixture, butter and eggs into the flour and mix everything to a moist dough.
6. Turn it onto a floured work-surface, knead it and work in the currants about a quarter at a time.
7. Return the dough to the bowl and either cover it with a clean cloth or put it into a large plastic bag.
8. Put the dough into a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
9. Heat the oven to 200°C
10. Knead the dough again and divide it into 16 small round buns.
11. Place them on a floured baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg and milk glaze.
12. Put them on top of the stove and cover them with a clean cloth. Leave them for 15-20 minutes for the second rise.
13. Bake the buns for 20 minutes and leave them onto a wire rack to cool.
Cooking is fun. Baking cakes and buns can be an educational activity for children, involving measuring, following instructions, decision making and socialising / working with other people. For the best experience make sure you have the ingredients and cooking equipment to hand before you begin baking. These recipes have all been tried and tested, and should work. No specialist cooking equipment is needed - the average kitchen will contain all the ingredients and equipment you need to have fun, and bake great cakes and buns.